Sunday, October 28, 2012

NCAA88 BEDA VS. LETRAN FINALS

Late post. I look like a flag, para safe :P Grats beda! Cheers still @kevinlouiealas ;) #ncaafinals  (Take with Instagram)

Remember my first post about this year's NCAA, where I mentioned my hope on seeing two of my favorite teams (San Beda Red Lions and Letran Knights) on the finals? Just imagine my joy when it did happen this season! I was on my way home from work when my friend texted me the good news that Letran Knights won over San Sebastian Stags for the finals spot. Not to offend anyone, but I really don't want to see Baste on the finals.

Compared to the Red Lions though, I am more passionate on cheering for CSJL Knights. It all started with my frustration of studying Advertising there, to unexpectedly gaining friends from the school, to joining their annual Adspeak competition, to working in the events agency a group of Letran alumni built... and to almost dating one. San Beda on the other hand shared some good influences too. Mainly that their building is just across my school, San Beda students and I also shared almost the same memory of the everyday road, food, and "tambay" experience. Because of proximity and connections, I was also able to gain Bedista friends. Let's not include the dating part as it will just remind me of Mendiola immature kilig days, haha! In short, both schools left me with good impressions, but Letran was closer to heart.

The Knights and Red Lions rivalry was tagged as the Green Archers - Blue Eagles of NCAA. Both colleges showcased competitive rankings on the past decades, not just basketball. Their rivalry started way back 1950 when they met for the first time, in the finals. Before this year though, the last time they saw eye to eye in the finals was five years ago, 2007! So again, just imagine how thrilled I was for this year!

I was kind of skeptic towards Letran's victory at first, but realizing the winning moves of Raymond Almazan, Mark Cruz... and of course, my favorite Kevin Alas (scoring an all-time NCAA Final Four high total of 43 points) I became hopeful that they can, or might, get the championship title for this season.

The finals started last October 18 for Game 1, at the MOA Arena - San Beda Red Lions won. Game 2 was held on October 20, this time at the SMART Araneta Coliseum - CSJL Knights won! I was praying on Game 2, calling for a game 3, and was literally slapping the shoulders of my companion on the left. The 3rd Game happened last October 26, again at the Araneta Coliseum... the Lions won. I can't remember the look on my face, just seeing the 67-39 score is depressing. But the best part with my favorite rivals on the finals though, is that I still can get to celebrate the opponent's victory! Haha!

The red crowd was crazy of course. The cheers, the drinks, the 'kantyawan' after, were crazier! Yet I still feel for Kevin Alas. Good job for Mark Cruz too, my childhood crush / your brother Marvin Cruz (former player of UP Fighting Maroons) must have been so proud of you! Going back to Kevin 'Ace' Alas, hehe... I hope to get a picture with you next year, in the finals! Law of attraction, Letran Knights will be in the finals for season 89! Hoping for another Beda-Letran face off! Yes Stags, please keep those horns away from the limelight again.

No comments:

Photobucket